You can register for IELTS quickly and easily through our Online Registration Service.
To register, simply follow our eight steps below:
1. Read the information for candidates
Download and read Information for Candidates which contains important information about the test format, the question types and the test results.
2. Decide which version of the test is right for you
There are two versions of the IELTS test:
IELTS General Training
Check out our simple guidance below to help you decide which version of the test is right for you.
What do you want to do?
I want to:
- study at university at undergraduate or postgraduate level; or
- join a professional organisation in an English-speaking country.
The version you need
You should take IELTS Academic
I want to:
- train or study at below degree level
- work or undertake work-related training in an English-speaking country
- emigrate to an English-speaking country.
|You should take IELTS General Training
3. Check the IELTS test dates
Use our Online Registration System or the test dates, fees and locations section to find up-to-date information about test dates and availability.
Please note: Your Listening, Reading and Writing test will be completed on the same day though the Speaking test may be offered on the same day, or up to a week before or after your main test day. You will receive notification in advance by email if your Speaking test is on a different day to your main test day.
Use our Online Registration System or register in person to book your place on the test.
To register in person you can visit the British Council in Abu Dhabi, Dubai or Sharjah:
Abu Dhabi - UK VFS Visa Application Centre
(Exams registration, payments and enquiries)
25th floor, Shining Towers,
P O Box 46523
Khalidiya Street, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Opening hours: Sunday to Thursday 9.00-16.00
Dubai - Tariq Bin Ziyad Street
Near Rashid Hospital
PO Box 1636
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Opening hours: Sunday to Thursday: 8.00-20.00 and Saturdays: 8.30 - 16.00
Sharjah - 4th Floor, Omran Tower, Mashreq Bank building
King Abdul Aziz Street
Opening hours: Sunday to Thursday 8.00-20.00 and Saturday 8.30-16.00
5. Prepare and send your documents
Please make sure you send us the following document when you register for your test:
- A photocopy of your valid identification document which must be valid until your test day.
You must use one of the ID documents below to register for IELTS:
You must send a clear copy of the same ID with your application - do not send the original ID document.
You must bring the same original ID to your IELTS written and speaking test.
Please note that if you don’t bring your original ID, you won’t be able to take your IELTS test. Your test fee will not be refunded and it won't be possible to transfer your test date.
6. Choose your payment method
The cost of sitting a test is AED 920. You can pay for your test in one of the following ways:
- You can pay online with Visa or MasterCard. Follow the instructions for online payment on our IELTS online registration website.
- You may pay at our offices in Abu Dhabi, Dubai or Sharjah (addresses under Register above), whether you register using our online registration system or in person. If you register using our online registration system, please bring a print out of your Application Summary Page, which has a unique reference number on it (we will not be able to process your application without this).
7. Complete your registration
We need to receive all documents within three working days of your registration. Unfortunately, if we do not receive documents within three working days your application will be cancelled.
We cannot process incomplete applications, so please make sure you have sent us all the necessary information.
You may bring the documents to the British Council in person, or send them by email.
Confirmation of your test
When the British Council receives your payment, you will receive another email confirming your registration.
Copies of your results
If you would like your results to be sent to universities or other educational institutions, please enter the relevant addresses in the appropriate fields on the online registration form. We can issue a maximum of five copies per student.
8. After you register
- After registering you will receive an automatic email containing a link to our free online resources: Road to IELTS
- We will send you a confirmation email and/or a SMS three days prior to the test date giving you the start time of your test and the venue address.
For more information about the registration process please contact us at:
600 529 995 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
IELTS is designed to be a fair test and your English language ability will be assessed objectively, regardless of any special needs that you may have. We can help you with any special arrangements you require for your test. Please contact us three months in advance of your test date to find out how you can apply for special arrangements.
If you want to request a refund, please read our refund policy prior to making a request. If you want to do this, please complete and submit a request for refund form along with the supporting evidence. We will need to receive your request and supporting evidence at least five days before the test date.
Test day transfers
If you want to transfer to a different test date, you need to notify us at least five weeks prior to the test session you have registered for. To do this, please complete and submit a Request for Transfer Form.